How to romance your workplace: A guest blog by our West and North Yorkshire Partner The Works Recruitment
29th June 2017
Are you in love with your workplace? And if not, then why not? We spend a lot of our time at work, it needs to be somewhere that makes us happy! And if you are happy at work you will be happy in life! Here’s our top 6 ways of how to be in love with your workplace:
- Understand your purpose at work. Why are you there, what do you add to the company? What parts of your job do you love doing, what achievements are you proud of? Does your role at work fit in with your personal mission and meet your career dreams and goals? Try to focus on all of these positive aspects of your career – the reasons why you work there. And if you cannot find any positive answers to any of these questions, now maybe the time to start thinking about a new job……..
- Make real friends. Many long term friendships are made at work and can last for many years, even after you have left that particular company! You are spending a lot of time at work, relationships are bound to be formed. Enjoy your time at work, laugh with your friends and make work fun. It will make your days more enjoyable and keep you motivated!
- Challenge yourself. Pursue new opportunities or get involved in something that gets you excited. Try to think beyond your pay grade and look at ways of developing yourself and ways of achieving success through work. Be more proactive and set yourself high standards. If you always try your best and put all your effort into your work, people will notice and you never know what path that might lead you down.
- Invest in your key skills. Become a master in your trade and focus on the things that matter most to you. What do you love doing? What makes you happy and what makes you want to get out of bed in a morning? Those are the parts of you that will make you stand out from the competition.
- Get a work mentor. This is a great way of promoting knowledge sharing and trying new roles or introducing new skills that you might not have ever had the opportunity to discover before. It’s a great way of developing yourself personally and getting the experience you need to progress you in your chosen career.
- Switch up your routine so you don’t get bored. Try to shuffle your day around to keep some variety into your working day. And remember to take frequent breaks. Research by the Energy Project and Harvard Business Review showed that “employees who take a short break every ninety minutes report a 30% higher level of focus!”
So there you have it, our top suggestions of how to romance your workplace and be in love with what you do. If you have lost that loving feeling (we can feel a song coming on…..) then give us a call! We are currently recruiting for a variety of positions in the West Yorkshire area and would love to help you find your dream job!